KANSAS CITY, Mo. - (KSHB/CNN) It was quite the surprise after Susie Torres went to the doctor for what she thought was water in her ear.
A medical assistant didn't find water, instead, she found a brown recluse in Torres' ear.
"She ran out and said, 'I'm going to get a couple more people,' and she said, 'I think you have an insect in there," Torres said. "Now, I didn't panic because I didn't know what exactly it was."
"She came back in and told me it was a spider," Torres said. "They had a few tools and worked their magic and got it out."
Doctors pulled out the spider and after a few questions, told her it was a venomous brown recluse.
Luckily, the spider didn't bite Torres, and she's doing fine. However, she's taking a few extra precautions before bed.
"I never thought they would crawl in your ear or any part of your body," Torres said. "I went and put some cotton balls in my ear last night, because I did not have any ear plugs."
You can learn more about brown recluse spiders, also known as the violin spider, from the CDC here.
Get the latest local and national headlines straight to your email for free: Sign up here.
- Homicide investigation in Rooks county
- Former Pineville youth pastor changes plea
- Joplin to host visit by the Stanley Cup
- Man pleads guilty in fatal Lake of the Ozarks boat accident
- Kansas City man accused of killing at family cookout
- Oklahoma prisons locked down after outbreak of violence
- Kansas State Fair to evaluate gun rules for concert security
- Back the Blue License Plate Unveiled
- St. Louis man charged with stabbing neighbor's dog
- Wichita toddler injected enough methadone to kill adult
- Turkey vulture causes power outage at University of Missouri
- Judge: 10-year-old involved in arson, Missouri boy's death
- Pompeo's storage units broken into in Kansas last year
- Kansas City officer charged with possessing child porn
- Woman barred from Arkansas midwife work charged in Oklahoma