Health warning for aromatherapy spray, linked to death in Kansas

Health warning for aromatherapy spray, linked to death in Kansas
KOAM Image

The CDC confirms that bacteria in a recalled aromatherapy room spray matches the bacterial strains in two people that died.

In early November, Walmart recalled about 3,900 bottles of Better Homes and Gardens-branded Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones. The recall includes six different scents.

The recall happened due to the presence in two bottles of a rare and dangerous bacteria and risk of serious injury and death.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tested a version of the product and found Burkholderia pseudomallei. It’s a bacteria that causes meliodosis.

Health officials reported cases in Kansas, Minnesota, Texas and Georgia, including a child fatality.

The aromatherapy room spray was sold at about 55 Walmart stores nationwide and online at walmart.com from February 2021 through October 2021 for about $4. “Better Homes and Gardens Aromatherapy,” is printed on the label on the front of the 5-ounce glass bottle. The aromatherapy room spray was sold with a pump spray nozzle in the following scents and product numbers:

  • 84140411420 Better Homes and Gardens Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones Lavender & Chamomile
  • 84140411421 Better Homes and Gardens Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones Lemon and Mandarin
  • 84140411422 Better Homes and Gardens Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones Lavender
  • 84140411423 Better Homes and Gardens Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones Peppermint
  • 84140411424 Better Homes and Gardens Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones Lime & Eucalyptus
  • 84140411425 Better Homes and Gardens Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones Sandalwood and Vanilla

Walmart has stopped sale of the product. The product was made in India.

Consistent with CDC’s guidance, consumers are urged to:

  1. Stop using this product immediately. Do not open the bottle. Do not attempt to throw away or dispose of the bottle.
  2. Double bag the bottle in clean, clear zip-top resealable bags and place in a small cardboard box. Return the bagged and boxed product to a Walmart store.
  3. Wash sheets or linens that the product may have been sprayed on using normal laundry detergent and dry completely in a hot dryer, bleach can be used if desired.
  4. Wipe down counters and surfaces that might have been exposed to the spray with an undiluted disinfectant cleaner.
  5. Minimize handling of the product and wash hands thoroughly after handling the bottle or linens. Wash hands thoroughly after removing gloves.

See CDC’s press release here.

Remedy:

Return the product to Walmart for destruction and receive a full refund and $20 Walmart Gift Card.

Consistent with CDC recommendations, consumers should immediately stop using the recalled aromatherapy room spray, double bag the bottle in clean, clear zip-top resealable bags, place it in a small cardboard box and return it to any Walmart store for a full refund. Do not open the bottle. Do not attempt to throw away or dispose of the bottle. When handling the product or cleaning contaminated surfaces, please follow the CDC guidance below.

Incidents/Injuries:

CDC tested a version of the product and determined that it contained the dangerous bacteria Burkholderia pseudomallei which causes melioidosis. CDC has been investigating a cluster of four cases of melioidosis in the U.S., including two deaths. Cases were reported in Kansas, Minnesota, Texas and Georgia, including a child fatality.

Sold At

The aromatherapy room spray was sold at about 55 Walmart stores nationwide and online at walmart.com from February 2021 through October 2021 for about $4.

Learn More

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2022/Walmart-Recalls-Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Essential-Oil-Infused-Aromatherapy-Room-Spray-with-Gemstones-Due-to-Rare-and-Dangerous-Bacteria-Bacteria-Identified-in-this-Outbreak-Linked-to-Two-Deaths