Former Firefighter sentenced for two Bank Robberies in Oklahoma

Former Oklahoma Firefighter sentenced for two Bank Robberies
KOAM Image

BIXBY, Okla. – A Bixby man and former firefighter was sentenced on November 9th for robbing two Oklahoma banks of nearly $320,000.

“Jerry Brown’s string of criminal acts included two bank robberies and attempting to escape prosecution by staging his own disappearance to look like a kidnapping,” said U.S. Attorney Clint Johnson.

Officers say suspect Jerry Brown’s motive for the robberies was likely to alleviate the numerous professional and personal financial problems he had been experiencing.

“The FBI would like to thank the Skiatook Police Department, Owasso Police Department, and the United States Attorney’s Office for their hard work in this investigation,” said FBI Oklahoma City Special Agent in Charge Edward J. Gray. “We are gratified Brown is being brought to justice for his crimes, and can no longer target Oklahoma’s financial institutions or intimidate innocent citizens.”

During the hearing, Assistant U.S. Attorney Ryan Roberts argued for a sentence within the guideline range while the defense argued for a sentence below the guideline range, requesting Brown serve just over 12 months in federal prison. The defense pointed to Brown’s life of service prior to the bank robberies and the extreme financial and personal struggles he had been dealing with at the time of the crimes. Brown then apologized to the victims. He stated that as a former firefighter, he had been a life saver but ultimately became a life destroyer when he committed the robberies. – U.S DOJ

U.S. District Judge Gregory K. Frizzell sentenced Jerry Ray Brown, 44, to 51 months in prison followed by three years of supervised release.

Judge Frizzell also ordered Brown to pay just over $260,000 in restitution, representing the stolen bank funds that had not yet been recovered.

The FBI, Skiatook Police Department, and Owasso Police Department conducted the investigation.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Ryan M. Roberts prosecuted the case.