Former Chiefs RB Hunt signs with Browns
Hunt was released by the Chiefs in December
CLEVELAND, Ohio. — Two months after being released by the Kansas City Chiefs, running back Kareem Hunt has found a new team.
Hunt signed with the Cleveland Browns on Monday.
Hunt was released by the Chiefs back in December, after a video surfaced showing him pushing and kicking a woman. He was placed on the NFL’s commissioner’s exempt list before the Chiefs made the move.
The NFL’s investigation into the incident is still ongoing, and Hunt could still be suspended under the league’s personal conduct policy.
Hunt has proven to be one of the best running backs in the league in just two seasons. He led the league in rushing as a rookie in 2017.
Browns general manager John Dorsey drafted Hunt while working for Kansas City, and said they’re relationship was an “important part of this decision-making process.”
“But we then did extensive due diligence with many individuals, including clinical professionals, to have a better understanding of the person he is today and whether it was prudent to sign him,” said Dorsey, who was Kansas City’s GM from 2013-16. “There were two important factors: one is that Kareem took full responsibility for his egregious actions and showed true remorse and secondly, just as importantly, he is undergoing and is committed to necessary professional treatment and a plan that has been clearly laid out.”
Dorsey went on to say the Browns “fully understand and respect the complexity of questions and issues in signing a player with Kareem’s history and do not condone his actions. Given what we know about Kareem through our extensive research, we believe he deserves a second chance but certainly with the understanding that he has to go through critical and essential steps to become a performing member of this organization, aside from what the NFL determines from their ongoing investigation.”
Dorsey added that the Browns have given Hunt “detailed plans with expectations laid out that he understands and must follow.”
He said any similar incident will not be tolerated.
In a statement released by the team, Hunt expressed remorse and thanked the Browns for giving him the opportunity.
“First off, I would like to once again apologize for my actions last year,” Hunt said. “What I did was wrong and inexcusable. That is not the man I was raised to be, and I’ve learned a great deal from that experience and certainly should have been more truthful about it after the fact. I’m extremely grateful that John Dorsey, Dee and Jimmy Haslam and the Cleveland Browns organization are granting me the opportunity to earn their trust and represent their organization in the best way possible on and off the field.
“I am committed to following the necessary steps to learn and to be a better and healthier person from this situation. I also understand the expectations that the Browns have clearly laid out and that I have to earn my way back to the NFL. I’m a work in progress as a person, but I’m committed to taking advantage of the support systems that I have in place to become the best and healthier version of myself.”
COPYRIGHT 2022 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.