Election nears on $16.5 million Pittsburg school bond
More dates set for community discussion, bond impacts Middle School
PITTSBURG, Kan. – Discussions continue ahead of Pittsburg’s $16.5 million school bond election.
Today, January 3, 2022, the USD 250 school district held a Media Day at the Middle School. This latest bond proposed by Pittsburg Community Schools focuses on the 1921 section of the Middle School. KOAM is speaking with some residents today to see how they feel about the bond and what issues they may have. You can also join the discussion on the KOAM Facebook page.
Information provided by USD 250 states in part,
“This Bond will construct, equip and furnish renovations and improvements to the existing 1921 section of Pittsburg Community Middle School, and make all other necessary improvements at an estimated cost of $16,500,000 with NO MILL INCREASE.”
Funding the Pittsburg School Bond
Even if you don’t have a child attending Pittsburg schools, property taxpayers that fall within the school’s district area are impacted by these bonds.
Property taxes help fund school bonds. USD 250 says this bond will not have a Mill increase, but it will extend the current bond and interest mill rate.
According to Pittsburg Schools, “Our debts on all other bond services, except the 2017 bond will come off the tax rolls by 2023. The 2017 Bond comes off in 2037. The 2022 bond will start to be paid in Sept. 2022 and will extend our current bond and interest mill rate of 10 mills through 2045.”
What is a Mill?
One mill is one dollar of property tax levied against $1,000 of assessed valuation. For more information on mill levies you can visit ksde.org.
Special Election Date, Voting Locations
Voters can make their voice heard on the bond during the special election on January 18, 2022.
- Chicopee Community Center, 403 S Pesavento Ave, Pittsburg, KS 66762
- Church of Christ Congregation Hall, 802 E. Centennial St, Pittsburg, KS 66762
- Countryside Church Hall, 1901 E 4th St, Pittsburg, KS 66762
- Memorial Auditorium Pittsburg, 503 N Pine St, Pittsburg, KS 66762
- St John’s Lutheran Church Hall, 304 W 3rd St, Pittsburg, KS 66762
Which do you need to vote at? Learn more here.
You can ask questions at the next “Community Conversation” at Block 22, 402 N. Broadway in Pittsburg on:
- Wednesday, January 5: 1-2 pm
- Thursday, January 6: 6-7 pm
- Friday, January 7: 8-9 am
What the 2022 Pittsburg School Bond is for
According to USD 250:
- This Bond will construct, equip and furnish renovations and improvements to the existing 1921 section of Pittsburg Community Middle School, and make all other necessary improvements at an estimated cost of $16,500,000.
- The renovation will include all 4 floors of the 1921 section of the building.
- It will include remodeling existing classrooms to accommodate student growth and expansion of pathway courses by creating 21st century learning spaces, adding a modern science laboratory and adding an elevator for ADA compliance.
- It will renovate the auditorium for school and community use.
If the Bond Passes
If voters approve the bond (mill extension), school officials expect to start construction on the project as early as June 2022. They hope to finish by August 2023.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.