CHC/SEK and SEK-CAP Partnership to Offer Transportation for Patients

CHC/SEK Launches Smoking Cessation Program
COPYRIGHT 2018 BY KOAM. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.
sek.jpg

Pittsburg, KS -The Community Health Center of Southeast Kansas (CHC/SEK) today announced a partnership with the Southeast Kansas Community Action Program (SEK-CAP) to offer rides for patients needing transportation to and from their appointments at both CHC/SEK clinic locations in Pittsburg.

The program, which begins Monday, August 4th, will offer shuttle service within a 15 mile radius of Pittsburg, both to and from the patient’s appointment at either of CHC/SEK’s Pittsburg locations at 3011 North Michigan and 924 North Broadway. The goal of the program is to offer some assistance for patients who may have transportation issues preventing them from getting care. CHC/SEK estimates that approximately 25% of the missed appointments they see are due to transportation problems or sometimes having no transportation at all. “It’s really about increasing access to care.” says Krista Postai, CEO of Community Health Center of SEK. “Many of our patients rely on family, friends or public transportation to help them get to and from their appointments and sometimes those options just aren’t available.”

SEK-CAP, which operates the Pittsburg Area Community Transportation (PACT) bus service, was recently forced to make adjustments to its regular route service due to funding cuts. One of those adjustments saw the elimination of regular daily routes to the north side of Pittsburg which includes both CHC/SEK clinics. Postai noted “We saw a noticeable rise in missed appointments as well as a drop in medication pickups from our pharmacy.”

Rides will be available by appointment Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm and are free of charge. Federal and State funds will cover 70% of the program with CHC/SEK providing the remaining 30%. Patients can call 620-240-5079 to arrange for transportation.