August means tax season for some truckers – what you need to know
WASHINGTON – The Internal Revenue Service this week reminded truckers who have registered, or are required to register, large trucks and buses that it’s time to file Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Returns.
The IRS strongly encourages using e-file and filing before the payment deadline of Aug. 31, 2022, for vehicles first used in July 2022.
Officials say truckers that have a highway motor vehicle with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more registered in their name must file Form 2290 and pay the tax. However, on vehicles they expect to use for 5,000 miles or less (7,500 for farm vehicles), they’re required to file a return, but pay no tax.
The IRS provides the following tips:
Get the facts
• Visit the Trucking Tax Center on IRS.gov/trucker.
• Review the Frequently Asked Questions for Truckers who e-file (also available in Spanish).
• Use “Do I Need to Pay the Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax?” online tool if unsure about filing.
Gather the required information
• Vehicle Identification Number(s).
• Employer Identification Number (EIN) – not a Social Security number. It can take about four weeks to establish a new EIN. See How to Apply for an EIN.
• Taxable gross weight of each vehicle.
• All Form 2290 filers are encouraged to e-file, a list of IRS-approved e-file providers is on IRS.gov.
• E-file is required when reporting 25 or more vehicles on Form 2290.
• A watermarked Schedule 1 is sent within minutes after acceptance of an e-filed return.
• If filing by mail, ensure that the correct mailing address is used.
• Mail filers will receive their stamped Schedule 1 within 6 weeks after the IRS receives the form.
• Credit or debit card or digital wallet is an option.
• E-filing makes paying with electronic funds withdrawal an easy part of the process.
• Electronic Federal Tax Payment System requires advanced enrollment.
• Mailed in check or money order payments using Form 2290-V, Payment Voucher, mailed to: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 932500, Louisville, KY 40293-2500.
• IRS YouTube Video: Truckers: Mark Your Calendars To File Form 2290.
• “Understanding Form 2290 – Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax”.
• Frequently Asked Questions for Indian Tribal Governments Regarding Highway Use Tax.
• IRS Form 2290 call center, available weekdays between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Eastern time. From within the U.S., 866-699-4096 (toll-free), from Canada or Mexico, 859-320-3581 (not toll-free).
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.