4-State back-to-school bashes and sales tax holidays
JOPLIN, Mo. – While some states may have a sales tax holiday this weekend, not all cities are joining in. So, other organizations are hosting their own savings holidays.
Here is some information for the 4-States ahead of the tax holiday. Keep scrolling to check out some events.
While Missouri is having a sales tax holiday, several cities have elected to not participate. City sales tax in these locations will still be collected on the sale of qualifying holiday items. State sales tax will not be collected.
- What are some local cities in Missouri that have opted out?
- Carl Junction
- Mount Vernon
- You can find a full list here.
Oklahoma participates in the Sales Tax Holiday. According to the Oklahoma Tax Commission, retailers may not charge state tax on items that are tax-exempt during the sales tax holiday weekend.
- There are items exempt from the sale. You can find that list and more here.
- SalesTaxHoliday Oklahoma
In Arkansas, “All retailers are required to participate and may not charge tax on items that are legally tax-exempt during the Sales Tax Holiday.” That’s according to the Arkansas Department of Financial and Administration website.
You can find an itemized list below, or click here.
Kansas does not have a sales tax holiday, but cities like Fort Scott organize their own savings holiday each year. Reach out to your local Chamber of Commerce to see if local retailers have planned sales.
- Fort Scott, Kan. – Sales Tax Holiday Shopping Event, Get a 9.4% discount on ALL items at participating retailers, see flyer below, or click here.
Sales Tax Holiday Special Events
- Northpark Mall in Joplin: Back-To-School Shopping and Sales Tax Holiday this weekend (August 5-August 7).
- “Our retailers can’t wait to welcome the community with back-to-school shopping for the entire family,” said Susan W. Hoff, Marketing Manager for Northpark Mall. “This season, it’s all about spotlight-stealing styles, from vivid colors and prints to more-is-more accessories. Y2K fashion is peaking higher than ever, and we are here for it!”
- Not sure what items qualify? Visit the Missouri Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday website here for more information on what items are eligible, such as school supplies, clothing, computers, and other items as defined by the statute. (Information from Northpark Mall)
- Monett, MO (Sat. Aug 6): Family Fest from 5-7 pm in Monett Downtown Park and Pavillion (Website)
- Joplin, MO (August 26): Back-to-school Bash at The ROCC (1402 S. Main) from 6:30 to 9:30 pm (Website)
- Lamar, MO (Sat. Aug 6): Back 2 School Bash At Grace Family Worship Center (110 Lee Avenue) from 9 am to 1 pm (Website)
- Miami, OK (August 13): Oklahoma Summer Fest and Back to School Bash 2022 in Miami, OK (Free to attend by all Tribal citizens and family members.)(Website)
- Vinita, OK (Sat. Aug 6): 2022 Back 2 School Bash at Craig County Fairgrounds (For Craig County students only) (Website)
- Seneca, MO (August 13): Back to School Bash at Track 94 Brewery (Track 94 and Seneca PTO hosting) (Website)
- Pittsburg, KS (August 15): Back2School Event 2022 (Must sign up to take part in haircuts and backpacks) at Kiddieland at Lincoln Park by Victory Life Church (Website)
- Iola, KS (Sat. Aug 6): Summer Sidewalk Sale from 8am through 5pm (Website)
Does your organization have an upcoming event you would like to share? Submit it to our community calendar for free! Just click the Add Event button.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.